Blogger BlogNet89464




Have Computer Certifications Lost Their Value?


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Computer certifications haven't lost their value and they have. These are two opinions and depending who you ask or which forum you visit, you will get both these answers. There are those that think certifications aren't valuable any more and those that do.

You can only speak from your own experience and here is mine:

Computer certifications have helped me get my foot in the door in finding an IT job when I wanted to change careers. For years I was a secretary and grew quite bored with the role. My first cert, the Comptia A+ landed me that first IT job. It paid very badly, and the hours were longer than they should have been but I wasn't nave to think that one cert with no experience was going to get me a high paying job. I just need to get my foot in the door.

As years went by I got more certifications under my belt. My knowledge base grew, my salary grew and my resume looked pretty darn good, what with the letters after my name but most importantly the experience. In fact never did I have the confidence to attend interviews until I started getting certified because I knew I had an edge.

And here is where I will put a side note and state that certifications mean very little without the experience. Certs show you are willing to learn new things, you are a go getter and employers feel much more confident with you because of that. But a cert without experience is just a piece of paper that says you know stuff (hopefully).

This is what I have found:

  • Some employers value certifications - others don't
  • If you do contract work, certifications impress - they are needed
  • Recruitment agencies also love them; the more they can impress clients with, the better
  • Some certs help you advance your career, others don't


So should you certify or not?

If you don't, you are missing out on opportunities. For a while I was in charge of hiring and from those that came into the door, only the certified and experienced made it through the second interview.

Certifications haven't lost their value - it's just that they are not the 'new thing on the block' any more. Certifications used to be an extravagance. Now they are the normal thing that you should have.

I wouldn't have continued certifying if they didn't bring me value. I've got better things to do with my time and spend my money on. But I know that they pay off - proving I choose my career track carefully and plan where I'm going.

If you are thinking of going the IT career route, have you done your own research? Which career path will you follow? Decide, then follow that up with certs that will ultimately raise you to the position you have always dreamed of.

Visit my website http://www.certification-exam-help.com

You will also find other informative info such as Hottest certifications, how to study the right way for you, the truth about bootcamps, and more.

web hosting coupons


0 Responses to “Have Computer Certifications Lost Their Value?”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Blogger BlogNet89464: Have Computer Certifications Lost Their Value?

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3